It all started back in 1947 when Wilfred Lapointe bought a small sawmill bordering Rigg's
Brook on North Belfast Road.
It wasn't long before two of his sons Normand and Roland were working with him at the saw
mill and cutting logs in the woods.
In 1955 the two brothers bought the sawmill from their father and began operating it on
their own. The purchase included the old sawmill, a few saws, a few logs out back and
an empty cash drawer. Because of their hard work and skill Lapointe Lumber survived and
prospered. Over the years the business gradually shifted from the sawmill to retail
lumber and building material sales. Eventually the sawmill was phased out.